Wednesday 25 November 2015

Red Velvet Chinese Dragon Cake

This is a Chinese Dragon cake I made Sarah's Birthday, using red velvet cake, green food coloring and some icing. She asked for a dragon cake and was expecting me to just draw one on the top but this is what she got instead.



BELOW: I started by cutting out a circle from the center of a regular round cake, Then cut the whole cake in half, leaving 4 semicircular  pieces which would make up the body of the dragon. The head is made entirely out of icing (to maximise the detail) the cake was made on the plate that I intended on displaying it on. NOTE that I made a template up with paper first (seen top right in the photo below) that I used as a guide to position the cake on the plate.


 Figure 1, 2 ,3:
The next step was to cover the entire surface with icing, allowing it to harden before texturing with scales. The scale texture was achieved by using a traditional sculptors tool



BELOW: Once the icing had harded, which took appoximately 1hour I painted the entire dragon with green food coloring and a NEW 'round' paint brush. It was messy and any over painting was cleaned up with paper towel, dont use fabric to clean up, the coloring will stain everything, the paint brush will also be stained so use a 'cheap' one.






No comments:

Post a Comment